Monday, October 10, 2011

Some good fall eats.


Today Loren and I planned on having a few folks over for dinner, but our guest list kept dwindling down, so that eventually it included only the three of us.  Honestly, that was fine by me. Without writing you all a hand-lettered invitation to my pity party, I'll just stay it was one of those days.  Like a Monday, but it was a Sunday. Or something.  But Loren, Sadie and I enjoyed a lovely fall dinner, and I thought I would share a couple of recipes, since we didn't get to share the food:)
First up... Brie smothered in caramelized  onions served with crackers, pears and figs.  Do you ever get obsessed with an appetizer for a while?  I think I am going to be obsessed with this one.  It is oh.so.good.  Like Loren says, "I'm not usually a brie man, but this is awesome." There isn't really a recipe for it, you simply slowly cook down an onion in a couple tablespoons of butter until it becomes a lovely golden brown.  At that point I added about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and cooked it down a little bit further.  Pour the hot onions over the top of your brie, it gets all nice and soft... serve.. enjoy!
And this little gem is so worth a try.  It is called a Dimply Plum Cake, and I poached the recipe from over at the Smitten Kitchen. We got a surplus of plums in our CSA box this week, and while Sadie has been diligently munching her way through the red ones, the bag of Italian plums was getting a little smushy. They were perfect in this cake.  It is light, tangy, delicious... a wonderful fall treat, especially with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Well, what are you waiting for?  Go get cooking! 

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Can't wait to try both recipes, which are already copied and in my kitchen awaiting my trip to get brie and plums! - I enjoyed reading "Smitten Kitchen." Thanks for sharing a great blog.* (I clicked on her Martha Stewart appearance, and got some great book suggestions.) - I'm so sorry your friends didn't get to enjoy your beautiful efforts. Their loss was our gain! *P.S. I know I'm prejudice, but your photo of the plum cake was even more beautiful than hers. :)

    ReplyDelete