Wednesday, August 28, 2013

felt!

I have a confession. 
I've been having a mini love affair with felt this summer.  It's the real reason I haven't finished knitting that sweater I wrote about... that, or possibly the fact that after chasing two kids all day my craft-time has been relegated to 10 or 15 minutes stolen here and there.  I cant always knit, right?
So I've really been making a dent in the giant stack of felt I impulse bought last fall.
And I've been making Christmas ornaments.  In summer.  That's right.
You gotta get an early jump on this business when you have small kids.
I started with these (Christmas present spoiler if you happen to be one of my nieces or nephews, and can read, read no further!)
I wanted to make the kids a Christmas ornament every year so that when they grew up they would have a unique, handmade set of ornaments imbued with all their magical Christmas memories to put on their own tree.  I also want ornaments that are unbreakable and wonderfully soft and textured.
sooooo..made these little wool felt friends and they were so cute I decided all the kids in the family are getting one for Christmas this year...
I wont put pictures of them all yet... because I haven't finished making them.  I got side tracked in July with this birthday crown (okay, technically, it's a tiara) for my big.

 This might also be a new birthday tradition for nieces and nephews. 
Then I got side-tracked again with these fun matryoshka dolls to depict the seasons.  This has been a collaborative effort between Sadie and I.  She is picking out all the felt and thread colors for me.  I like her taste, I must say!
so far we have done summer and autumn.
Now the pressure is on to finish up winter and spring.  Sadie is worried I might not get them done in time for Christmas. She has her felt all stacked up and ready to go, and my embroidery floss is all in a tangled pile, or as Sadie says, "all raveled up."  As you can see, my embroidery skills, are um, rudimentary.  But I'm learning as I go.  And my audience is very forgiving.
 my two favorite little sewing helpers.  They keep things lively for me, that's for sure!


 

3 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful! I have a whole stack of felt I bought this spring while in the lower 48....hmmm..you have inspired me. Where did you get you patterns, are were they free-styled by you? Those are awesome.

    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just make them up... Sometimes I browse pinterest for inspiration though... Lots of cute ideas on there:)

      Delete
  2. You are So creative! These are wonderful, fanciful, beautiful! - But your very best creations are in the last photo !!! :)

    ReplyDelete