Wednesday, July 10, 2013

summer delights

Some things about summertime are just perfect.  Fresh fruit, for one.  And Sadie's new favorite dessert is just another perfect excuse to eat berries (like you really need one)
Pavlova--it sounds much fancier than it really is.  I made a similar version to this on Saturday using this recipe, and using a home-made custard (to use up the egg yokes, and because I didn't have whipped cream). I thought it was good, but a little too sweet.  I wanted to try it again with less sugar, and the suggested whipped cream.  Its better this way.  I cut the sugar in the recipe by half, and used barely sweetened whipped cream.  I think eventually you will run into problems with the texture of the meringue if you use too little sugar, but I'm going to just keep making this recipe whittling the sugar down in increments until it doesn't work.
It's still plenty sweet with half the sugar, and it fluffed up just fine. 
Like eating a cloud...says Sadie.

 
It's so pretty too.
Although, my amateur foodie photography doesn't really do it justice.
I don't think I'll ever run a perfect food photography show on this channel because 
1. I can't devote kitchen space to all the fun little props that make your photos really shine, and
2. I only have 30 seconds to take pictures before this happens:
 
 
Anyway... Pavlova--just do it.  You won't be sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment